Contact me at elf@dodgyapple.com

Tuesday 4 March 2008

Walk Cycle

After looking at a few examples of simple walk cycles, I decided to do one of my own. Instead of my cycle being a simple few seconds of my character walking on/off screen, I wanted to make it loop continuously so you can not tell when it start/stop.
I thought it was going to be simple, however, I was wrong. Trying to make it flow without any breaks was harder than I thought =( The walking was not a major problem as I've done many before. The problem was getting the background to flow. I had to redo the background several times, each time playing it on loop to see if it worked. It was simply a matter of trial and error to see which one worked best. In the end, I finally got the background to work even though I had to resort to a simple one.
In order to make it loop, my character had to "walk on the spot" while the background moved to the left to give the illusion of him moving instead. I then dressed him up and gave him some bright colours.
Originally I wanted him to be a super hero (hence the bright colours) with a cape, but I decided to give that a miss. If I have time later I will give him a cape, meanwhile, this is good enough =)

For the Toon Boom version, please click here.




For the Flash version, please click here.





~ Message from the little elf ~

No comments: